Zika virus disease has become a nationally notifiable condition in 2016. The Zika virus has also been diagnosed via sexual transmission and blood transmissions and has also been found in asymptomatic blood donors during an ongoing epidemic.
The Zika virus is transmitted to humans primarily through the bite of an infected mosquito-Aedes species. The mosquito is an aggressive daytime biter and feeds both indoors and outdoors near dwellings. Both humans and animals and human-to-vector-to-human transmission occur during outbreaks.
Zika Virus Symptoms
1 in 5 people can be infected with Zika virus and will become ill the most common symptoms of Zika are:
- Fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes)
- Muscle pain and headache
- The incubation period is approximately a few days to a week.
- Illness will last for a couple of days to a week
- The virus will remain in your blood a few days
- Hospitalization is uncommon
- Deaths are rare
Treat the Symptoms
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink fluids to prevent dehydration
- Take an acetaminophen or paracetamol, to relieve fever and pain
- DO NOT take aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen and naproxen. Aspirin and NSAIDs should be avoided until ZIKA can be ruled out due to the cause of excess bleeding. If taking medicine for another medical condition, talk with your doctor before taking additional medication.
The key is to seek diagnosis promptly from a board-certified obstetrician if you are pregnant or have just given birth.
*Healthcare providers are encouraged to report cases to local state, and the state is encouraged to report laboratory-confirmed cases to the CDC.
Schedule an appointment with Dallas Functional Medicine Specialist and Gynecologist Dr. Maryann Prewitt today.
Dallas Gynecologist and Functional Medicine Specialist Dr. Maryann Prewitt is Director and Founder of HealthWellnessMD. Dr. Prewitt is a Fellow and Board Certified by the America College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Dr. Prewitt holds a Master’s Certification in the da Vinci Surgery System – this minimally invasive technology has revolutionized the way surgery is performed today. Named Top10MD in 2016 an honor only 1-in-3 doctors succeed within the United States. Call Dr. Prewitt’s office today and schedule an appointment at 972.380.1099.