These days men of all ages are requesting plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons. The procedures for men most often sought after are having a more balanced nose, a rejuvenated face and a more trim waistline.
Liposuction and Body Contouring: What Is The Ideal Male Body Shape?
- Flat Abdomen
- Narrow Hip/Thigh Area
As men age, areas of fat start to accumulate around the following areas:
- Breast Area (Gynecomastia)
- Flanks (Love Handles)
One of the most popular procedures for men, liposuction, removes these fatty areas when they are resistant to diet and exercise. In most cases, liposuction alone can correct these problem areas. Men’s skin elasticity is retained longer than women’s, and the areas of fat under a man’s skin is firmer and more vascular than women’s. Because of these factors, liposuction in men is very effective.
Ideal Procedures For Men
- Abdomen Reduction – A “tummy tuck,” or “abdominoplasty” may be chosen by men who have hanging abdominal skin. This hanging skin is usually the result of great weight loss, loose abdominal muscles or neglected hernias. Abdominoplasty is a major surgical procedure that removes excess fat, tightens your abdominal wall, and trims your waistline.
- Excision – A procedure that involves the surgical removal of excess skin. It can be done in addition to liposuction, or as a companion to other procedures that result in excess skin.
- Muscle Enhancement – In recent years, plastic and cosmetic surgeons have developed ways of improving muscle contour with implants and “sculpting” techniques.
What Types of Implants are Available to Men?
- Calf – These implants were originally created to give leg contour back to victims of polio or car accidents. They are not sometimes used cosmetically to create fullness in the lower leg.
- Pectorals – Chest implants, also known as pectoral implants, are used to build the chests of men with Poland’s syndrome. Poland’s syndrome is a rare birth defect that causes the absence or underdevelopment of the chest muscle (pectoralis) on one side of the body, usually accompanied by the webbing of the fingers of the hand on the same side. Chest implants can also be used to “bulk out” the existing pectorals of healthy men.
What About Sculpting?
Small amounts of doctors have started offering abdominal etching to the male patients. Abdominal etching is a new lipo technique that creates a muscled, rippled appearance in the abdominal area.
Dr. Y. Anthony Nakamura is an Arlington Plastic Surgeon Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Nakamura is Medical Director of Accent on You. With over 25 years of plastic surgery knowledge, Dr. Nakamura takes a personal approach to every patient while continuing to provide excellent care. Dr. Nakamura has been named a Top10MD – an honor only 1-in-3 doctors succeed within the United States. To schedule your appointment contact Dr. Nakamura at 817-417-7200.