When used in combination with medical weight loss programs, FDA-approved weight loss medications can be helpful not only with increasing both speed and amount of weight loss but also with reducing the sensation of hunger and increasing fullness. Prescription weight loss medications are not a substitute for a proper diet and exercise program – they are designed to complement the behavioral program.
FDA-Approved Weight Loss Medications
Available by prescription since the 1950s. These are commonly known as stimulants. These have been FDA-approved for short-term (3 months) use, although many Obesity Medicine Specialists use stimulants for a longer duration, even as long-term weight maintenance medications.
Four New Weight Loss Medications
These weight loss medications have been approved for long-term weight loss and weight management since 2012.
Am I a candidate for prescription weight loss medication?
- Search for an Obesity Medicine Specialist or Clinician through the Obesity Medicine Association (obesitymedicine.org).
- Ask your primary care physician if he/she is comfortable prescribing these medications. If not, ask if he/she can refer you to a reputable weight loss or weight management specialist.
- Ask friends, associates, or colleagues for referrals.
- Go online and do research on medical weight loss specialists in the area.
- Go through reputable local marketing sources (such as magazines) for weight management specialists.
Do not seek prescription medications from a physician or provider who does not require at least one face-to-face visit with you. Do not purchase any prescription medication over the Internet unless it’s a reputable pharmacy; you never know what you’ll receive.
Dr. Theresa Garza is a Dallas Weight Loss Specialist who is Board-Certified by the American Board of Obesity Medicine and the American Board of Family Medicine. She has been in private practice for weight management for eight years. Dr. Garza specializes in non-surgical weight loss, weight management programs, and metabolism testing. Dr. Garza has been named Top10MD – an honor 1-in-3 doctors succeed within the United States. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Garza, click on her profile or call her office at 972.303.8955.