More than 125,000 facelifts were performed last year, and according to the American Society of Plastic Surgery, the number of facelifts performed each year continues to increase. Facelifts remain popular for a good reason, the results can be amazing and can last for many years. Cosmetic surgery has come a long way over the years when it comes to face-lifts. The key to a good facelift is that you’re not supposed to really notice it. You’re just supposed to look in the mirror afterward and think to yourself “Wow! I never realized how wonderful I look!”
Keep in mind you are beautiful just the way you are, however, if you are desiring a little bit of rejuvenation, always opt for a natural appearance without any obvious signs of having had a facelift procedure. The most natural facelift doesn’t look like the face has been pulled back too tight, but simply younger. The worst facelifts can appear obvious because of noticeable distortions of your facial features, a distorted smile, the corners of the mouth pulled too tight, or the face as a whole looking unnaturally taut.
Although avoiding these tell-tell signs is not necessarily difficult, it does require an experienced and skilled surgeon with proven aesthetic judgment. Plastic surgeons are not routinely trained in facelift procedures, it is always best to choose a board-certified surgeon with extra training and experience in facial surgery. In addition to a skilled surgeon, planning and open communication between the patient and surgeon is essential to gain the natural rejuvenated look you desire.
Here are 5 keys to the ultimate facelift:
- Hidden Incisions. Incisions must be hidden so that there is no distortion of the hairline or earlobe.
- Avoid the Windswept Look. The pull of the skin must be natural. This is achieved with an upwards skin shift, vertical in the face and at a 45° angle in the neck (backward) behind the ear.
- Cinching Facial Muscles. In order to improve the longevity of a facelift, tightening the deep muscle layer will relieve overall skin tension, which, if not attended to, may create an unnatural appearance of the skin.
- High Attention to Detail. Precise “detail work”, such as closing incisions around the ear, is critical to eliminating the stigma of facelift incisions.
- Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon. The experience and expertise of your surgeon are most critical when it comes to facelift surgery. Consider obtaining more than one opinion regarding your facelift, especially if there is any uncertainty about their specific recommendations, the rapport with your surgeon, or any red flags or concerns you may have regarding safety. Make sure you are confident that your surgeon understands your expectations and communicates the surgical plan effectively. Last, keep in mind communication and expectations are the most important ingredients to obtaining the best result from facelift surgery.
Schedule your appointment with Dallas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Ramsey Choucair.
Dr. Ramsey Choucair is a Dallas, Texas Plastic Surgeon, and Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Choucair is a recognized expert in cosmetic surgery of the face. Dr. Choucair served on the faculty at the Harvard School of Medicine for seven years and is currently an Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Dr. Choucair is well known for his kind bedside manner and meticulous attention to detail.