We are bombarded by toxins daily and need to begin thinking about a strategy to detoxify our liver.
Unbelievably, the average American consumes 10 pounds of chemical additives in foods each year. On top of that, we are also consuming large quantities of pesticides, both sprayed on our food and in the air, so this chemical burden is quite significant. Our liver is designed to get rid of waste and toxins within the body, through chemically converting them so our kidneys may eliminate them.
In today’s environment, our bodies are under more pressure than ever before as we are reaching a new threshold of tolerance from the excess of toxin consumption. Our bodies are so burdened by chemicals that we are getting bombarded by health problems such as skin issues, digestive problems, allergies, and fatigue, to name a few. The liver has over 500 known functions for the body, including helping the endocrine system, aiding in digestion, helping to control blood sugar levels, and helping the body metabolize sugar, protein, and fat. Most importantly, the liver acts as a filter system to cleanse our body of all these toxins.
Where Are These Toxins Coming From?
- Coffee and energy drinks
- Environmental toxins (metals and pesticides)
- Processed foods (white flour products & sugar)
- Smoking (or second-hand smoke)
- Infection or chronic illness
- Prescription medication
How To Help Your Body Perform A Daily Detox & Flush Out Your Liver of Toxins
- Hydration – This is the most important one!! Water helps move our bowels and urine regularly, moving toxins and waste through our system. Try to drink half your body weight, per day, in ounces of water, or lemon water. One another option is cran-water in a 1:7 ratio of organic cranberry juice to water. This helps eliminate water retention and cleanses out waste from the lymphatic system.
- Diet – Avoid processed foods as much as possible. These are lifeless foods to the body and received as toxins. Another way to remove the burden from your liver is avoiding caffeine/alcohol/sugar as much as possible.
- Fiber – If your diet has thus become low in grains (from the multitude of over-processed options out there), then it will be critical to consume plenty of vegetables and legumes at each meal. Flaxseed oil or flax seed is another great supplement to add to your diet.
Supplements That Help Detoxify The Liver
- Nettles Tea – This multi-vitamin tonic helps boost immunity, your lymph node system, IBS, constipation, and much more. It is loaded with B vitamins, Vitamin K, and other minerals.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin is a great detoxifier and should be taken every day if possible. It is also known as a universal anti-toxin.
- Herbs – Milk Thistle & Dandelion – Both of these herbs provide great support for your liver. It helps balance out the liver, especially if you have consumed too much sugar, trans fats, or alcohol. Here is a recipe for Milk Thistle Liver Tonic.
Schedule your appointment with Fort Worth Functional Medicine Specialist Dr. Susan Linder.
Dr. Susan K. Linder is a Diplomat of the American Board of Anti-Aging, Functional & Regenerative Medicine. She is also board certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, with a subspecialty board certification in Pain Management. Dr. Linder is the Medical Director of HealthSpringMD conveniently located in Fort Worth, TX. Named Top10MD in 2015 an honor only 1-in-3 doctors succeed within the United States. Call Dr. Linder’s office today and schedule an appointment at 817-926- 7671.