The prostate is a gland in the male body that helps carry urine away from the bladder and out of the body. It also helps make semen, which is the fluid that contains sperm. Regarding size, the prostate is the size of a walnut but usually grows larger with age. Often, around the age of 50, the prostate can begin giving causing for men. The term ‘prostate disease,’ is a term that can refer to a wide range of medical conditions that can affect the prostate gland.
Common Prostate Problems
- Inflamed prostate, called Prostatitis. Bacteria usually causes this.
- Prostate cancer is common in men but responds well when detected early.
- Enlarged prostate; this is also called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Symptoms of Prostate Problems
- Difficulty urinating, whether difficult to start of stop urinating
- Easily causes strain when trying to urinate
- Feeling the need to urinate more frequently
- Being awakened in the middle of the night to urinate
- Symptoms more closely related to prostatitis are: pelvic pain, pain in testicles, pain when urinating, pain when ejaculating semen
Treatments for Prostate Disease
Most treatments for prostate cancer include radiotherapy (radiation), surgery to remove the prostate gland, and hormone therapy. Hormone therapy works through the use of medications, to help block the effects of testosterone, which stimulates prostate cancer.
FIND A Top10MD UROLOGIST NEAR YOU
A top-notch, experienced Urologist will have all the tools and training needed to get to the root of your problem and significantly improve your symptoms.
There are hundreds of Urologists to choose from; however, not all doctors are created equal. Urology takes the skill and finesse of an experienced Surgeon. That’s why we’ve selected your city’s best Urologists – to make the decision process easier for you and your family.
For your peace of mind, Top10MD Urologists’ credentials are validated yearly to verify medical licenses have no serious patient care sanctions, current Board Certifications in their given medical specialty, current DEA & DPS licenses, and malpractice insurance. A Top10MD has at least 5+ years experience or has performed 300+ procedures in their given specialty and a current Patient Satisfaction Score of 8.5 or higher.