What Are Signs Toenail Fungus?
Toenail fungus is caused by fungal infection and can appear in one or more of your nails.
Nail fungus is more often seen in toenails than fingernails because toes are confined to dark and warm environments in your shoes.
Signs of Toenail fungus is a yellow or white spot on the tip of the nail, and as it worsens, the nail may thicken or crumble.
These infections can become painful are sometimes difficult to treat as they can recur
First Signs of Nail Infections
- Tiny white or yellow spot on tip of the nail
- The nail becomes thick or brittle
- Nail shape is distorted
- The nail can be dull without shine and get dark debris beneath it
Causes of Toenail Fungus
Exposures to yeast and molds and other microscopic fungi are the main cause, as well as frequent exposure to moist and warm environments such as swimming pools and showers.
- Aging -With aging comes poor circulation and more exposure to fungi, as well as thickening of the nail
- Men – Men tend to get nail fungus more than women
- Perspiring heavily
- Working in a humid or moist environment
- Walking barefoot in public bathrooms
- Minor skin or nail injury with damaged nail
- Having diabetes can often lead to poor circulation and a weakened immune system
Diagnosing & Treatment
Your doctor will most likely scrape some of the nails to sample it for fungus. A common and effective treatment for fungus can include anti-fungal creams and ointments, as well as other topical medications.
- Trim your nails straight across and keep them short and clean
- Wear socks – synthetic socks help keep feet dryer than cotton
- Use anti-fungal spray and powder
- Don’t go barefoot in public areas
- Always wash hands after touching an infected nail
FIND A Top10MD PODIATRIST NEAR YOU
It’s important that you trust your Podiatrist. There are hundreds of Podiatrists to choose from; however, not all doctors are created equal. That’s why we’ve selected your city’s best Podiatrists – to make the decision process easier for you and your family.
For your peace of mind, Top10MD Podiatrists’ credentials are validated yearly to verify medical licenses have no serious patient care sanctions, current Board Certifications in their given medical specialty, current DEA & DPS licenses, and malpractice insurance. A Top10MD has at least 5+ years experience or has performed 300+ procedures in their given specialty and a current Patient Satisfaction Score of 8.5 or higher.