Addison’s Disease occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough adrenal hormones.
Addison Disease occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks the adrenal gland, infections such as fungal, HIV or tuberculosis, blood loss, tumors or the use of blood-thinners are contributors.
You have two adrenal glands located just above each of your kidneys. They produce three types of hormones:
- Glucocorticoid Hormones such as cortisol maintains your glucose (or sugar) control
- Mineralocorticoid Hormones such as aldosterone, which regulates sodium and potassium balance
- Sex Hormones such as androgens (male) and estrogens (female), which affect our sexual development and drive
Symptoms of Addison’s Disease
- Abdominal pain
- Blood pressure or heart rate changes
- Chronic diarrhea, nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Low blood pressure
- Mouth lesions on the inside of the cheek
- Patchy looking skin or darkening of the skin or paleness of the skin
- Reduced consciousness
- Salt cravings
- Weakness and fatigue
Treatment of Addison’s Disease includes replacement corticosteroids such as cortisone or hydrocortisone and mineralocorticoids (fludrocortisone). The key to controlling Addison’s disease is to try to lead a stress-free life, stay healthy and reduce your risk of injury.
FIND A Top10MD FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE SPECIALIST NEAR YOU
There are hundreds of Functional Medicine Specialists to choose from; however, not all doctors are created equal. Functional Medicine takes the skill and finesse of an experienced Functional Medicine Specialist. That’s why we’ve selected your city’s best Functional Medicine Specialists – to make the decision process easier for you and your family.
For your peace of mind, Top10MD Functional Medicine Specialists’ credentials are validated yearly to verify medical licenses have no serious patient care sanctions, current Board Certifications in their given medical specialty, current DEA & DPS licenses, and malpractice insurance. A Top10MD has at least 5+ years experience or has performed 300+ procedures in their given specialty and a current Patient Satisfaction Score of 8.5 or higher.
Take Control of Your Health & Schedule a Consultation Today!
*Age Management, Functional Medicine and Integrated Medicine is an evolving medical specialty, currently there is no Board Certification for these specialties. Doctors from many different specialties practice this specialty.