“Pregnancy can cause an overabundance of changes in your body, and your breasts are no exception,” says Dallas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Patty Young, Medical Director of Premier Plastic Surgery of Texas. The size and shape of your breasts can dramatically change following pregnancy and breast-feeding. The increase and decrease of hormones during pregnancy causes breasts to become deflated and low-positioned.
Beautiful breasts are not just a matter of size. Proportional breast shape to a woman’s unique needs helps breasts look and feel as they did pre-pregnancy.
If childbirth has left you with breasts that sag, there are procedures to give you the lift you need. Some women benefit from a breast lift (mastopexy) alone while others benefit from both a breast lift and breast implants to create additional volume. During your consultation, we can help you determine which procedure will get you your pre-pregnancy body breasts back—or breasts that look even better than before.
What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve your appearance by restoring youthful, feminine proportions but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively.
Excess skin is removed during your procedure, and your breast tissue is reshaped. The nipple & areola are raised into a more forward position; this creates a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during a breast lift procedure, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast.
Benefits of a Breast Lift
- Restores a better breast shape following pregnancy & breastfeeding
- Improves breast contour after significant weight loss
- Perky breast shape for the first time in a long time
How to Tell if You Need a Breast Lift
While the best way to confirm whether or not you are a candidate for a breast lift is to schedule an appointment and be measured. You can ask yourself:
- Do my nipples point downward?
- Does the nipple/areola sit below the crease underneath my breast?
- Am I happy with my breast size when wearing a bra?
- Are my breasts asymmetrical or unusually shaped?
Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon for Your Breast Lift
If you’re considering breast lift procedure, choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon is the most important decision you’ll make. When you visit potential surgeons, ask how frequently he/she performs breast lift surgery and how many total procedures that surgeon has performed. View before and after photos, not just on a surgeon’s website but also during your consultation, paying close attention to the results of patients whose breasts before surgery look similar to yours.
Quick Facts to Remember
- A breast lift can be combined with augmentation or reduction to achieve desired breast size as well as shape
- Having firmer, lifted breasts can make wearing bras more comfortable
- Most patients return to a desk job within a week after surgery
- Scars are located below the nipple/areola complex and easily hidden by a bikini top
Dr. Patty Young is a Plano Texas Plastic Surgeon Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. Young is Medical Director of Premier Plastic Surgery of Texas. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Young, click on her profile or call her office at 972-398-1131. Dr. Young has been named Top10MD for two years – an honor only 1-in-3 doctors succeed within the United States.