Acne is skin lesions or inflammation that occurs when sebaceous or oil glands of the skin get infected with bacteria and swell up. Acne is also known as pimples, pustules, papule, spots, and zits. The sebaceous glands that are present throughout the skin except in palms and soles secrete a waxy or oily substance called sebum. The sebum helps to maintain the oil balance of the skin and makes it look healthy. When there is any abnormality in the sebaceous gland, pimples occur.
Types Of Acne
Acne is not only the red, inflamed bumps that are visible on your skin. There are different types of pimples. Some of the pus-filled acne can be painful and can persist for a long time. Knowing about the different kinds of acne will help you to treat them correctly.
- Whiteheads – White spots that usually occur on the oily skin.
- Blackheads – Are caused when the material present inside the pores pushes out. Dirt does not necessarily cause blackheads; a blackhead can also occur due to bacteria and dead skin build up.
- Pustules or Nodules – Sometimes the tissues around the clogged pores get infected causing inflammation. This inflamed portion is filled with pus, and it is hard. These are nothing but nodules or pustules.
- Cysts – Deep pus-filled pimples.
10 Remedies To Achieve Flawless & Healthy Skin
1. Reduce Your Stress – If you didn’t know it already then let me break it to you. Stress causes acne!! Not that I’m excited about it or something, but it does. When our body produces stress hormones, it leads to causing an acne breakout in two ways.
- The hair follicle lining thickens due to the hormone causing whiteheads and blackheads, and if bacteria get trapped inside of it, a pimple is formed.
- Our body directs blood and oxygen to more vital areas leaving skin dehydrated and prone to clogged pores and breakouts. Hence to avoid pimples, one also needs to reduce their stress levels.
2. Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is a cactus like a plant with antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, astringent and a lot more useful medicinal properties. It can be used in a lot of ways- as a moisturizer, a facemask, shaving oil, or it can also be included in your diet. Aloe Vera can work wonders for treating and preventing acne as it removes excess oil and dirt from the skin. It stimulates the cell growth and helps the damaged skin for healing faster.
3. Cucumber – Fresh cucumber juice is an amazing toner for your face. Cucumbers have the same pH as your skin, so it contributes to the natural healing process of your skin. Cucumbers help prevent and cure acne. A cucumber facial mask twice a week and you’ll see your acne slowly get under control and disappear.
4. Baking Soda – A wonder product that you might already have in your kitchen can help in your fight against acne. A mixture of baking soda and lemon juice can be applied on the skin to make it acne free. Baking soda is an amphoteric compound that means it can work both as an acid and as a base. It helps in neutralizing the skin’s pH, an imbalance in which is often a cause of acne. It also dries the skin removing any extra oil and mixing some baking soda with water works wonderfully in cleansing and exfoliating our skin.
5. Honey – Honey masks are a common acne treatment. Applying honey on the face works both as a preventive method and as a treatment for pimples. It is a natural antiseptic that soothes and heals the skin. The antioxidants present in honey can help in reducing the inflammation of the skin and making it a pimple free. Apply some honey on your face for 15-30 minutes and then wash it off. Not only will it work against your acne problem but it also makes the skin smooth and supple.
6. Lemon – Like honey, lemons are also believed to be a quite effective natural treatment for getting rid of pimples. Lemons can help avoiding pimples in more than one way. Lemon juice reduces the oil, kills bacteria, reduces redness, and also removes the pimple scars. To use it over your pimples squeeze some fresh lime juice over a cotton swab or a cotton ball and apply it over your face. It can give quick results.
7. Eat Healthy & Drink Water – Our mothers have always told us that no amount of cosmetic products could benefit our skin as much as eating a healthy diet comprising of fresh fruits and vegetables can; this is, in fact, true. Eating oily and greasy food like chocolates or junk food doesn’t do much good to our skin while eating grains, fruits, and vegetables helps us in keeping it healthy and acne free.
8. Keep Hands Off – Seeing an unpleasant pimple makes us want to pop it immediately to get rid of it. But touching and popping pimples can only accentuate the problem. Don’t let your hands touch your face ever! It spreads bacteria, causing infections, or furthermore pimples that you certainly don’t want.
9. Keep Your Face Clean – Cleansing shall be one of the most important steps of your skincare routine. Even if you are not having an acne problem washing the face twice a day helps in removing dirt, oil and dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. Less oil and dirt also means less acne. While washing your face use a cleanser designed for your face. Also, wash the face only with warm or cold water as using hot water can cause pimples. Always, always, always USE A FRESH CLEAN WASHCLOTH! Overnight a washcloth grows bacteria… put it in the hamper and uses a fresh one daily.
10. Use Dermatological Products – There is a variety of anti-acne products – face washes, creams, face packs, etc., available on the market these days. Search a little, find a product that will best suit your skin type and give it a try.