Being home for the holidays is part of the joy of the season. But, for many of us, fighting through the crowds, delayed flights, and wintry roads with gifts, luggage, and kids in tow – making it home can be incredibly stressful.
- Book Early! Set your travel plans as early as possible to get cheaper deals and more flexible schedules.
- Stock Up On Entertainment – Before you leave home, get digital! Download plenty of entertainment via your tablet, e-reader, smartphone, laptop, etc.
- Give Yourself Time – Consider leaving the house a bit earlier than usual to beat those delays. Use your extra time to grab a bite to eat and relax.
- Travel Light – Shop gifts ahead of time – this will cut down your luggage hassle.
- Prep For Security – Make sure you know what to do, and your kids know what to expect before you enter airport security. Empty your pockets beforehand. Put your change, keys, belts, phone, and jewelry in your carry-on instead of emptying pockets in line.
- Expect Delays – Prepare yourself mentally to minimize the stress of delays or reroutings. Take charge and always have a plan B!
Never Go Hungry – Empty stomachs make for cranky travelers. Don’t forget to pack a snack high in protein to keep you feeling fuller between meals!
- You’re Not Alone – Remember, others are stressed too. Holiday travel is a hectic time. Take deep breaths, put a smile on your face, and stay positive!
- Stay Healthy – Winter travel increases your risk of getting a cold or the flu. Carry antibacterial hand gel and wash your hands often!
- Have Fun! Involve the kids with songs and games. Stop often to stretch your legs, refocus, and give everyone some space. Stay positive and enjoy every moment with your loved ones.