We know we are still in the middle of the chilly holidays, but keep in mind, summer is only 6 months away and that gives us plenty of time to focus on that summer bod you’ve been dreaming of.
It is a common misconception that a Brazilian Butt Lift has to result in huge buttocks. “Although some patients desire this, often patients are looking for enhanced shape, contour, and projection of the buttocks without massive enlargement.” Says Dr. Sam Jejurikar of The Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute. If a huge butt is your heart’s desire, however, that usually is possible – provided you have enough fat to donate for the endeavor. This may require more than one procedure to achieve given the limitations of the skin envelope to accept a limited amount of fat at one time.
What is Brazilian Butt Lift?
Buttock augmentation with fat is more popularly known as the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL). With this procedure, Dr. Jejurikar combines liposuction, most commonly of the back, love handles, and abdomen, with buttock augmentation to reshape the buttock.
Who is the best candidate for a BBL?
Ideal candidates for Brazilian Butt Lift are in good shape and have excess fat of the abdomen, back, love handles or outer thighs. The procedure generally takes two-and-a-half to three hours and can be done in combination with other procedures.
What does surgery entail?
Surgery entails three key steps:
- Liposculpture of the areas around the butt. Eliminating fat around the waist, flanks (love handles) and outer thighs is critical to creating a shapely butt and a more feminine body shape.
- Fat collection and purification. Fat removed by liposuction is collected using a completely closed, in-line system. This allows the majority of fat cells which are removed to remain viable as well as the ability to discard any of the oils and serum.
- Finally, once the fat has been collected and purified, it is re-injected using syringes. Fat is used to reshape the butt and to give it enhanced projection, predominantly in the upper portions of the buttocks. Fat can be injected in moderation, merely to give the butt an improved shape and contour, or in excess, to give a significant increase in volume.
Will I be under anesthesia for surgery?
In order to achieve the best possible results, our patients will undergo the procedure while under general anesthesia. With liposuction, we also use local anesthetic with a solution known as tumescent. This adds to post-operative pain control as well as minimizing bleeding during the procedure.
Will I require pain medications after surgery?
In general, patients experience a significant amount of pain in the first few days after surgery. We will provide you with enough prescription pain medication to keep you as comfortable as possible through this recovery process.
What is the recovery like?
Recovery after a Brazilian Butt Lift can be difficult, if not downright inconvenient. Dr. J. asks his patients not to sit or lay on their buttocks for 10 days after surgery; he also asks them to minimize the pressure by offloading their butt with a rolled towel or blanket for an additional of four-and-a-half weeks (6 weeks total after surgery).
What are my post-operative restrictions?
- A high fat, high-calorie diet is recommended for 3 months following surgery (between 3000-3500 calories a day)
- Keep hydrated!
- Avoid sitting on your buttocks completely for 10 days after surgery, and minimize sitting for an additional week thereafter.
- When you are able to sit 10 days postoperatively, use a bolster behind your thighs when sitting to alleviate pressure from your buttocks.
- Avoid all strenuous exercise for 4 weeks following surgery. Light walking only is permitted during this time. Avoid all high-intensity buttock exercises (squats, lunges, etc.) for 3 months following surgery.
- You may fly in 7-10 days and resume driving when you feel comfortable enough to do so, after 10 days.
Will there be swelling?
It is common and expected to experience post-operative swelling, most notably in the areas of liposuction and the buttocks. Some patients will experience swelling in their lower extremities even if surgery was not performed in this area.
When will I see my results?
Early results will become apparent in the first couple weeks after surgery, as the swelling begins to subside. However, final results take up to a minimum of 6 months.
How long do the results last?
BBL results are permanent but dynamic. This means your results will change with you. We have taken all of your problem fat cells and given them a new home, however, they are still your fat cells. If you lose weight, you will likely observe changes in the size of your buttocks. The same could be said for gaining weight.
Dr. Sam Jejurikar is Dallas Plastic Surgeon and Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Dr. J has offices in Dallas and Plano and sees patients from throughout Texas and the United States. He is a member of the renowned Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute and is a recognized specialist in buttock augmentation surgery. Dr. Jejurikar has been named Top10MD for two years an honor only 1-in-3 Doctors in the United States qualify for. To schedule your appointment contact Dr. Jejurikar at 214-827-2814.