It’s holiday time! Yes, we are in the midst of it… parties with big fat spreads of food including chips and dip, peppermint bark, cookies and more appetizer options than we know what to do with. On top of that, add the drink options of beer, wine and cocktails. So how do we keep our weight in check with all these wrenches thrown into the system? Well, lets go over the basics of which drink choices wont stick directly to our hips! And let’s not leave out the crucial tip of … everything in moderation!
Drinking in moderation can be defined as drinking no more than two drinks a night and drinking only 2 nights a week. Sticking to this method can help you keep your weight in check.
When it comes to weight gain, alcohol, unfortunately, is one of the worst offenders! Once alcohol is digested, the metabolism slows down and isn’t able to metabolize fat very well. A simple rule to making lower calorie drink choices is, the clearer the better. The darker the drink is, the higher the calories. Think tequila, rum or vodka, mixed with sparkling water, with a fresh squeeze of orange, lime or mint.
When you think of a sweet colorful cocktail, it’s definitely not going to help your waistline. However, there are ways for you to make them more diet friendly. Request that the drink be make with half the simple syrup.
DRINKS WITH 140 CALORIES OR LESS
- Vodka, diet sprite, lime
- 1 shot of vodka, lemon juice, ¼ shot of Cointreau, with mint
- 1.5 ounces of tequila, ¾ oz of grapefruit juice, splash of lime juice and 2 slices of jalapeno
- 1 shot of rum, 2 tbsp of sugar, with mint, lime and soda water
- ¾ ounces of flavored vodka, 2 oz of rose wine, splash of grapefruit juice and soda water
- 2 ounces of sake, splash of citrus seltzer, fresh mint and once squeezed lemon or lime
- 2 ounces of sake, 1 oz of orange juice, splash of champagne
As sad as this sounds, margaritas are so sugar-laden, that they should not be drunk on a regular basis. What’s an alternative option? Instead, ask for tequila on the rocks, with club soda and lime.